So, let's start with my current stats:
Right now, I am about five months (approx. 22 weeks) post relaxer. A few weeks ago I had some box braids installed (which are a nightmare, but more about that later) which I plan to wear for another two weeks.
|The box braids that I have installed right now|
Just because I like to have all my i's dotted and my t's crossed, I've written out a transitioning plan/roadmap to help keep me focused.
I plan to transition for as close to two years as I can get (however if I make it to next summer and just can't wait anymore, I won't feel too bad for chopping hehe!) I say two years because I want to still have the option of enjoying my hair periodically and if I'm honest, I know that I will not enjoy a TWA. So long-term transition it is! :)
With that in mind, I plan on wearing long-term protective styles for most of my transition (because what's the point of not BCing if your relaxed hair is hanging on by a thread!). See my (very rough) detailed plan to take me to 1 year post-relaxer below:
- Week 23 & 24: Continue wearing box braids
- Week 25 & 26: Remove box braids and wear various short-term, low-manuipulation styles (e.g. braid & curls, BKOs, curl formers sets)
- Week 27-34: Wear (self-installed) Senegalese twists, refreshing as-needed
- Week 35-42: Wear sew-in
- Week 42-45: Remove sew-in and straighten for trim/assessment of relaxed ends
- Week 46-53: Wear long term protective style
Seems easy enough, right?? **slightly sarcastic voice**
In all honesty, I know that just like with everything else so far in my hair journey, my plans are subject to change based on my hair's plans.
Are any of you transitioning? Have you laid out a transitioning plan to guide you on your new journey? I'd love to hear about it!
Questions? Additional comments? Email me at email@example.com